This is the Filipino variation of the popular garden salad. In place of olive oil, the Filipinos use fish sauce, which gives the salad a distinctly Southeast Asian flavor.
This dish is super easy to prepare and pairs well with any meat or pasta dish, or you can eat it by itself as a starter. Try this with the popular Filipino Fried Steak, Bistek Tagalog.
This recipe serves 2.
- 6 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 thinly sliced small onion
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Use your hands to tear the lettuce leaves into medium sized pieces.
- Cut each tomato into 12 wedges.
- Put all the vegetables into a large salad bowl and give it a quick toss.
- Combine all ingredients for the dressing and mix well so that the sugar and salt dissolve. An easy way to do this is to put all the ingredients for the dressing into a small bottle. Close the cap tightly and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss just before serving.
Preparation tip: You can optimize preparation time by making the dressing ahead of time and storing it in an air tight container in the fridge.
Fancy a Filipino Home Cooked Meal?