This delicious and refreshing Cambodian Beef Salad in Spicy Lime Dressing is a big favorite not just in Cambodia but also in Vietnam and Thailand. In Cambodia, it is usually served in restaurants or as part of a celebration. It makes a great starter and the combination of the beef and herbs with the spicy and tangy dressing is ideal for whetting the appetite for the main course.
This recipe serves 2.
- ½ lb sirloin steak
- ¼ cup beansprouts
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1½ Tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1 calamansi lime
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 3 diced bird’s eye chilies
- 1 Tbsp sugar
To prepare the dressing beat the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
Stir in the garlic and chillies.
- Rub the steak with salt. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok. When the oil starts to smoke, turn the flame down and place the steak in the hot oil. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes before turning it over. Allow it to cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the steak of any excess oil. Cut into ¼ inch thick slices.
- In a salad bowl, toss the beef, beansprouts, basil leaves, mint leaves and dressing until well mixed.