If you love durians, you will love this dessert from Laos. However, if you find durians too pungent to try, this Laotian Sticky Rice with Durian dessert may still surprise you.
The combination of sugar and coconut cream gives this sweet dish a full rich flavor. The bonus – it is so easy to make!
This recipe serves 2.
- 1 cup mashed durian flesh
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 1½ cup fresh coconut milk
- Sugar to taste
- Wash and rinse the sticky rice with water. Drain in a colander.
- In a bowl, steam the sticky rice with 1 cup of coconut milk on high heat for 45 minutes.
- Let it cool down. Separate the sticky rice into 2 serving bowls.
- In another bowl, add sugar to the durian flesh and mix well. I recommend about 2 Tbsp of sugar for this recipe, although you may cut down on the sugar according to your taste or for health purposes.
- Divide the durian mixture into 2 portions and pour over the steamed rice.
- Add ¼ cup of fresh coconut milk into each serving bowl. This Laotian dessert is ready to be savored!