Looking for a change from fruit juice? Try this fragrant lemongrass drink. Add some ice cubes and it’s perfect for cooling down on a hot summer’s day. Serve it hot and it makes good company in chilly weather.
(This recipe serves 4)
- 6 large stalks fresh lemongrass
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 8 cups water
- Cut the lemongrass into half, breadth-wise.
- Cut off the black dusty knob at the bottom part of the root.
- Wash properly and peel off any leaves that have turned brown.
- Use a pestle or the blunt side of a heavy knife and thump the lemongrass especially at the fattest and juiciest part of the stalk to split it open. This helps to release the juice when boiling.
- Put the lemongrass stalks in the water and bring to a boil. When the water starts to boil, turn the flame down and simmer for about an hour and a half. The water should take on a light greenish tinge.
- Add the sugar and stir till it dissolves.
- Serve with ice cubes for a refreshing drink. It can also be drunk hot.
Note: If you see any impurities in the drink, remove them with a strainer.